The Management Board brings together people with experience in the management of public or private sector organisations and knowledge in the field of fundamental rights from the Member States, the European Commission and the Council of Europe.
It is composed of:
- one independent person appointed by each of the 27 Member States of the EU and by each of the States holding observer status
- one independent person appointed by the Council of Europe
- two representatives of the Commission.
Each member may be assisted by an alternate member who is selected according to the same procedure.
The Management Board elects a Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson as well as two members of the Executive Board for a two-and-a-half year term. The term may be renewed once.
On 12 July 2020, the term of office of 13 members and alternate members of the FRA Management Board ended after 5 years. New members and alternate members are being appointed. The updated list of Management Board members and alternate members can be found here.
The elections of a new Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson took place in June 2020. The Management Board elected Elise Barbé as its new Chairperson and Sunniva McDonagh as new Vice-Chairperson (both taking office on 13 July 2020). The elections of one further member of the Executive Board will take place in September 2020.
The Management Board is responsible for the definition of the Agency's priorities, the establishment of the budget and for monitoring the Agency's operation. In particular, the Management Board:
- adopts the agency's annual work programme in accordance with the Multiannual Framework;
- adopts the agency's annual reports;
- appoints (and if necessary dismisses) the Agency's director;
- adopts the agency's annual draft and final budgets and the financial rules applicable to the agency;
- appoints and revokes the members of the Scientific committee.